BAM in dock after worker electrocuted

Belinda Liversedge
British Safety Council
05 Apr 2017

BAM Construction Limited has been fined £260,000 after a worker was electrocuted by an overhead power line at a railway operating centre in Basingstoke. Shoreland Projects Limited, the groundworks contractor BAM appointed for the work, was also fined.

Winchester Crown Court heard that on 26 January 2015, workers had been installing lamp posts on the site entrance road for a project undertaken for Network Rail.

Mark Bradley was seriously injured when the fifth lamp post touched the 11kV overhead power lines as it was being lifted into position. A colleague rushed to his aid and managed to use a piece of timber to push him away from the lamp column.

Investigating HSE inspector William Christie said: “This entirely preventable incident has had a permanent and very substantial effect on Mark’s life.

“Overhead power lines pose a significant threat to the safety of workers. Construction work in the vicinity of live conductors must be properly planned, managed and monitored to ensure the risks are controlled.”

BAM Construction Limited, of Breakspear Way, Hemel Hempstead, pleaded guilty to breaching regulation 14 of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 and was ordered to pay costs of £9,415.13.

Shoreland Projects Limited was fined £22,000 after pleading guilty to the same breach and ordered to pay costs of £8,442.53.